Referent: Marzia Lazzerini
Address: via dell'Istria, 118 – 34237 Trieste Italy
• + 39 (0)40 3785555
• + 39 (0)40 3785 642
The WHO Collaborating Centre for Maternal and Child Health (WHO CC) has been working in close collaboration with WHO since 1992. During these years it has technically assisted WHO and other United Nation agencies, such as UNICEF and UNFPA, in a number of projects, in collaborations with partners, such as Academia, centers of research, Ministries of health, governative and non-governative organizations.
The mains area of activity of the WHO CC are listed below.
- Technical support to WHO in the development of: guidelines, manuals and training packages, standards and indicators, tools – in particular tools for quality assessment- policies and strategies.
- Technical support to implementation of WHO recommendations and programs at country level, in particular in low and middle income countries.
- Research in the field of maternal and child health, including health system research
MAJOR PAST PROJECTS
- Kangaroo Mother care Guidelines http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/9241590351/en/
- European network for public health nutrition: networking, monitoring, intervention and training (EUNUTNET) https://www.ihan.es/cd/documentos/Rec_UE_en.pdf
- EU-funded projects for the development of a Blueprint for Action, first launched in 2004 (http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_projects/2002/promotion/promotion_2002_18_en.htm
- HOPE – Health promotion through obesity prevention across Europe: an integrated analysis to support European health policy (http://www.hopeproject.eu/).
- First European child health report for the age group of 0-12 years in European countries (Member States of the European Union and EFTA, and official candidate countries).
- Standard European recommendations on infant and young child feeding (http://EUpolicy06en.pdf).
- Contribute to the development of tools for the promotion of health and good practices (Baby Friendly Community Initiative http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/bfhi/en/
- Contribute to the Health Behaviour in School Children (HBSC) survey (http://www.hbsc.org/), and WHO European Childhood Obesity Surveillance Initiative (COSI) http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/nutrition/activities/monitoring-and-surveillance/who-european-childhood-obesity-surveillance-initiative-cosi
- Contribute to the development of recommendation on yong infants feeding, such as Standard European recommendations on infant and young child feeding English Version
- WHO Guidelines on basic newborn resuscitation http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/basic_newborn_resuscitation/en/
- Recommendations for management of common childhood conditions http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2012/9789241502825_eng.pdf
- WHO. Guideline: Updates on the management of severe acute malnutrition in infants and children. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2013. http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/updates_management_SAM_infantandchildren/en/
- Neonatal vitamin A supplementation http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501798_eng.pdf
- Vitamin A supplementation for HIV-infected women during pregnancy http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501804_eng.pdf
- Vitamin A supplementation in infants 1–5 months of age http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501811_eng.pdf
- Vitamin A supplementation in infants and children 6–59 months of age http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501767_eng.pdf
- Vitamin A supplementation in postpartum women http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501774_eng.pdf
- Vitamin A supplementation in pregnant women http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501781_eng.pdf
- Use of multiple micronutrient powders for home fortification of foods consumed by infants and children 6–23 months of age http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502047_eng.pdf
- Use of multiple micronutrient powders for home fortification of foods consumed by pregnant women http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/guidelines/guideline_mnp_pw/en/index.html
- Intermittent iron and folic acid supplementation for menstruating women http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502023_eng.pdf
- Intermittent iron supplementation for preschool and school age children http://www.who.int/elena/titles/iron_infants/en/index.html
- Vitamin D supplementation in pregnant women http://www.who.int/elena/titles/vitamind_pregnancy/en/index.html
- Calcium supplementation in pregnant women http://www.who.int/elena/titles/calcium_pregnancy/en/index.html
- Sodium intake for adults and children http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/sodium_intake_printversion.pdf
- Potassium intake for adults and children http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/potassium_intake_printversion.pdf
- Daily iron and folic acid supplementation in pregnant women http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/guidelines/daily_ifa_supp_pregnant_women/en/index.html
- Supplementary foods for the management of moderate acute malnutrition in infants and children 6-59 months of age. Technical note. Who 2012 http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/moderate_malnutrition/9789241504423/en/
- Food supplementation in children with moderate acute malnutrition http://www.who.int/elena/titles/food_children_mam/en/index.html
- Micronutrient supplementation in children with severe acute malnutrition http://www.who.int/elena/titles/micronutrients_sam/en/index.html
- Treatment of dehydration in children with severe acute malnutrition http://www.who.int/elena/titles/dehydration_sam/en/index.html
- Treatment of hypoglycaemia in severely malnourished children http://www.who.int/elena/titles/hypoglycaemia_sam/en/index.html
- Treatment of hypothermia in severely malnourished children http://www.who.int/elena/titles/hypothermia_sam/en/index.html
- Treatment of severe acute malnutrition in HIV-infected children http://www.who.int/elena/titles/hiv_sam/en/index.html
- Italian guidelines on prevention of PPH http://www.iss.it/binary/moma/cont/LGEPPcorrige.pdf;
- Improving the quality of paediatric care: an operational guide for facility-based audit and review of paediatric mortality https://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/improving-qualit...
- Conducting a maternal near-miss case review cycle at the hospital level” manual with practical tools in English and Russian http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newbor...
- Pocket book of hospital care for children- Guidelines for the management of common illnesses with limited resources- 2nd Edition (2013) http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/child_hospital_care/en/
- Pocket book of hospital care for children- Guidelines for the management of common illnesses with limited resources- 1st Edition (2005) http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/9241546700/en/
- WHO Pocket Book for child and adolescent health at Primary Health Care level for the WHO European Region (ongoing)
WHO Training Packages
- WHO Effective Perinatal Care Package 2nd Edition 2015 http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newborn-health/activities-and-tools/effective-perinatal-care-epc-training-package
- WHO Effective Perinatal Care Training Package (EPC) additional module on “Rights of women during childbirth” (2017) http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newborn-health/activities-and-tools/effective-perinatal-care-epc-training-package/epc-training-common-modules-modules-c/16c.-rights-of-women-during-childbirth
- WHO Effective Perinatal Care Training Package (EPC) - Technical update (2017) of Module 1 MO based on the new WHO guidelines of on antenatal care http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newborn-health/activities-and-tools/effective-perinatal-care-epc-training-package/epc-training-maternal-health-modules-modules-mo/1mo.-antenatal-care
- Other training packages http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newborn-health/activities-and-tools/effective-perinatal-care-epc-training-package
- Essential Newborn Care Training Course: Technical update, developing of monitoring indicators, field testing (ongoing)
WHO Quality Assessment Tools
- World Health Organisation. Hospital care for mothers and newborn babies: WHO quality assessment and improvement tool. WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen 2014. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newborn-health/publications/2014/hospital-care-for-mothers-and-newborn-babies-quality-assessment-and-improvement-tool/hospital-care-for-mothers-and-newborn-babies-who-quality-assessment-and-improvement-tool
- World Health Organisation. Hospital care for children: quality assessment and improvement tool. WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen 2015. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/child-and-adolescent-health/publications/_recache; http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/286185/Hospital-care-for-children-quality-assessment-and-improvement-tool.pdf
- Hospital care for mothers and newborn babies: quality assessment and improvement tool. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/maternal-and-newborn-health/publications/2014/hospital-care-for-mothers-and-newborn-babies-quality-assessment-and-improvement-tool
- Assessment tool for the quality of hospital care for mothers and newborn babies http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/98792/E93128.pdf
- Tool for assessing the performance of the Health system, in improving maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/98795/E93132.pdf
- World Health Organisation. Hospital care for mothers and newborn babies: WHO quality assessment and improvement tool. WHO Head Quarter, Geneva (ongoing)
WHO Indicators of quality of health care
- Consultation on improving measurement of the quality of maternal, newborn and child care in health facilities http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/measuring-care-quality/en/
- Standards for improving quality of maternal and newborn care in health facilities http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/improving-maternal-newborn-care-quality/en/
- Standards for improving the quality of care for children and young adolescents in health facilities download the document
- Research "Improving the quality of hospital care for children by supportive supervision: a cluster randomized trial, Kyrgyzstan" http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/95/6/16-176982.pdf
- Support to countries Read Dr Lazzerini contribution in the newsletter of the European Paediatric Association, Union of National European Paediatric Societies and Associations (EPA-UNEPSA) http://www.epa-unepsa.org/sites/default/files/NL24_def.pdf
- Development and Prioritization of Paediatric Quality of Care Indicators
- Several country assessments, in collaboration with WHO, other UN agencies and partners in East Europe and Central Asia (Albania, Armenia, Georgia , Moldova, Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan etc), Africa (Ethiopia, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda etc), South East Asia (Sri Lanka, Papua New Guinea). Examples:
- Assessment of the safety and quality of hospital care for mothers and newborn babies in Montenegro. In collaboration with UNICEF CO Montenegro, and Montenegro MoH (2016) available at the UNICEF Montenegro CO website http://www.unicef.org/montenegro/Report_Assessment_of_the_quality_of_hospital_care_for_mothers_and_new-born_babies_in_Montenegro_March_2016.pdf (ENG) http://www.unicef.org/montenegro/Izvjestaj_Procjena_bezbjednosti_i_kvali... (MNE), and at the Montenegro MOH website (Montenegrin) here.
- Kyrgyzstan (for WHO EURO and HQ) First Assessment ( 2012) http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Life-stages/child-and-adolescen...
- Assessing the quality of the IMAM services in Sierra Leone (in collaboration with UNICEF Sierra Leone, CUAMM)
- Improving the quality of care for children with acute malnutrition: Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial in West Nile Region, Uganda. Watch the VIDEO on YouTube
- Improving the Quality of Paediatric Hospital Care in the Kyrgyz Republic by Introducing the WHO Guidelines: Cluster randomised Trial. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02001116 http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02001116
- Cluster Randomised Trial and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis: Improving the outcomes of children with acute malnutrition in West Nile Region, Uganda. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT3044548 https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03044548
- Technical support in developing and field testing indicators of adherence to WHO guidelines of pediatric case management at hospital level (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Republic of Moldova, Kosovo, Ukraine) for Quality Assessment for WHO Regional Office for Europe Design, practical conduct, field testing
- Improving the quality of care for children In Kosovo Region, in collaboration with WHO Regional Office for Europe
- Knowledge to Action grants to support adaptation and implementation of WHO maternal and perinatal guidelines in Sri Lanka
- Development and field testing of a checklist to assess the quality of facility-based individual case Near Miss Reviews in the WHO European Region.
- Systematic assessment of the quality of the facility based individual near miss case reviews in selected countries of the WHO European Region
- Respectful maternity care. Observational evaluation in service users and service provider, and support for the implementation of good practices of care in Italy.
- Systematic reviews on the impact, facilitators and barriers to facility-based individual case Near-Miss Reviews in low and middle-income countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Listen to podcats http://greatnetworkglobal.org/funding/
- Analysis of a 10 years retrospective dataset of hospitalised pneumonia in children in Malawi – In collaboration with UCL CHID
- Digital radiology to Improve the Quality of Care in Countries with Limited Resources: A Feasibility Study in Angola.
- Assessing the quality of the Nutritional service in West Nile Region, Uganda
Implementation guidance documents
- Implementation guidance: Improving quality of care for maternal, newborn and child health http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/topics/quality-of-care/quality-of-care-brief-implementation.pdf?ua=1
- Implementation of perinatal death review in the WHO EURO Region
- Contribute to the development of the WHO Regional Office for Europe strategic plan for reproductive health http://www.euro.who.int/en/about-us/governance/regional-committee-for-europe/66th-session
- WHO Intercountry Meeting “Improvement Of The Antenatal Care in the Countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia” Information about the meeting is available on the web. link to picture 1 and link to picture 2, link to Programme, link to WHO Antenatal care guidelines
Epidemiological reports for EU
- WHO report on the health of children in European Union. For European Commission, Luxembourg 2012 . http://www.burlo.trieste.it/sites/default/files/Chiled_Health_in_the_European_Union.pdf
- Expert meeting to develop the new European Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) strategy. 28-29 April 2015, Trieste, Italy
- Expert meeting on European Women’s Health report. 30 April 2015, Trieste, Italy
- 11th Workshop and Congress of the International Network on Kangaroo Mother Care "Kangaroo Mother Care: 20 years later" - Trieste, Italy, 14-17 November 2016 International Network on Kangaroo Mother Care INK
- Prevention and elimination of disrespect and abuse during childbirth in hospital
Italian translation: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/134588/17/WHO_RHR_14.23_ita.pdf...
Referente pagina web: Marzia Lazzerini